Create Community, Share Passion, and Inspire Philanthropy
Empower personal transformation and inspire social and environmental impact
Our Core Values
We are all responsible for contributing to the achievement of a defined goal. Sometimes we follow, sometimes we lead, but we are always working towards a common vision. We are better together working as a team.
We love what we do and share our psych with each other and our community.
We do what is right for our people, our community, and our Company – even when no one is looking.
A call to action to pursue equity and diversity within our Company and our community.
We are not bound by convention when solving problems and/or identifying opportunities—we find better ways to do things.
On June 2, 2020, we paused all our communications to highlight and amplify melanated voices through our social media platforms following the unnecessary deaths of George Floyd, Ahmaud Arbery, Breonna Taylor and the countless others.
These horrific tragedies have served as a wake-up call for all of us to take action and be more determined than ever to champion social justice and build stronger, more inclusive communities. Our diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) work has now moved from the periphery into the forefront as a collective. It is imperative that we advocate for equity measures and provide a platform for everyone to have a voice in shaping a future in which differences are respected and celebrated.
Our DEI Statement
You are the foundation of our community; where together, we are better.
At El Cap, we believe everyone deserves to belong wherever they choose to adventure. Yet, we know that many groups have been disproportionately under-represented in our industry, and many people lack access to the transformative effects of climbing, yoga, and fitness. Creating accessible spaces where people can bring their authentic self is important to foster the environment we desire – where there is respect, kindness, pride, laughter, support, and connection.
We have the opportunity to advocate for equity measures and provide a platform for everyone to have a voice in shaping a future in which differences are celebrated. In addition to the inherent value in this endeavor, this diversity will lead to better innovation within our industry. We’ll hold ourselves accountable and challenge all members of our community to the following commitments:
- Advocate – We are committed to relentlessly advocating for an inclusive culture within El Cap that promotes equity where all staff and community members feel they are valued, belong, and reflect the diversity in the broader community.
- Educate – We are committed to educating our team members and community on how our actions and values shape our surroundings and the importance of understanding, appreciating, and interacting with people from cultures or backgrounds different from one’s own.
- Break Down Barriers – We are committed to seeking out and breaking down barriers that prevent people from accessing indoor and outdoor climbing experiences, fitness, and yoga.
- Build Partnerships – We are committed to building equitable partnerships with those aligned with our Mission and Values.
- Intervene – We will not tolerate harassing, discriminatory, or bullying behaviors.
What We’ve Done
Our vision as a company is to transform the world through the experience of climbing. We envision a diverse, equitable and inclusive community striving to achieve what they thought was impossible. We hope to inspire our community to try new things, push their limits, and pursue their best selves – ultimately transforming the way we live.
The path to that kind of world starts with the first few steps. These were ours:
- Leadership Commitment. Last July, we signed the Outdoor Industry CEO Diversity Pledge (part of the In Solidarity Project). We lean on the core tenents of the pledge for guidance as we work to advance representation for people of color across the industry. This is also one measure of public accountability for our company.
- Diverse, Equitable and Inclusive Culture. We embarked on a journey to redefine hiring practices for a more diverse, equitable and inclusive organization. We developed an internal DEI committee who have been working on developing and executing our company-wide DEI strategy that is aligned with our mission and values. We engaged with a DEI expert who facilitated focus groups within our company and helped us identify ways to increase dialogue with members of our community
- Allied. We partnered with diverse organizations that share our values and commitment to DEI. Many of these organizations utilize our gyms as a place for their work and almost all are part of our giving program.
Here are a few of our community partners. Most recently, we partnered with 1Climb and The Boys & Girls Club to make climbing more accessible. We are honored to be part of the Denver wall and are excited to continue our work with them.
- Paradox Sports
- Brown Girls Climb
- Women’s Wilderness
- The Brown Ascenders
- Latino Outdoors
- Outward Bound (Colorado, California, Chesapeake Bay)
- Big City Mountaineers
- Vive NW
- Adaptive Adventures
- Stonewall Climbing
- Big Homie Project (Bay Area)
- Portland Climbers of Color
Where We Are
We realize that we are currently in a marathon, not a sprint, on the journey towards reversing the systemic racism and injustice that is rampant in our country and our communities.
While we have made progress on our DEI efforts over the last couple of years, thanks in large part to so many of our passionate team members, recent events have highlighted the opportunity and need for us to prioritize this work even more. Our strategy and actions will align with our DEI statement: Advocate, Educate, Break Down Barriers, Build Partnerships, and Intervene.
We readily admit that we don’t have all the answers. We don’t know the exact steps to take to get to a completely inclusive community. We may make mistakes or hit obstacles along the way. It is a big problem, but we are dedicated to being part of the change and to creating safe spaces for all to be welcome.
As we continue our DEI journey, the following are resources shared with our team members internally.
- PLEDGE TO VOTE: BLM’s pledge to vote with email updates and reminders for the voting cycle.
- USE YOUR VOICE: Contact your State and Federal representatives to demand Justice for Black Lives
- DEMAND EQUITABLE RECOVERY: Message congressional representatives to demand every possible measure taken to mitigate the black death rate due to COVID-19.
- DONATE: Your contribution will benefit Black Lives Matter Global Network.
- LEARN: A compiled list of books, podcasts, videos and more to start your education for anti-racism.
- HEAL: Mental Health services being offered at reduced-fee rates and sponsored memberships for Black & Indigenous folx
Our giving program supports local and national projects that enable access to climbing and protect the environment. Many people don’t participate in climbing due to lack of awareness, access and resources. We believe engaging more people in climbing is key in creating supportive, kind and courageous communities that extend far beyond our walls. In addition, we strive to enhance the outdoor areas that make climbing special and are near and dear to our staff and members’ hearts.