Friction Series is PG’s Bay Area roped climbing competition. With climbs from 5.7 to 5.13+, there is something for everyone here! Come and climb or hang out and cheer on your friends. Each comp ends in a final where the best Open Category climbers compete for the top spot and a chance to climb at PG Sunnyvale’s Series Final! There will be food, beer, and a raffle with prizes from our sponsors like Petzl!
2018 FRICTION SERIES PRESENTED BY PETZL DATES
Belmont: Saturday, Feb. 10 – Recap Here!
San Francisco: Saturday, Mar. 24, 2018 – Recap Here!
Sunnyvale: Saturday, May 12, 2018
FREE for members
Day Pass for non-members
No pre-registration necessary!
10am: Registration opens
11am: Climbing starts
3pm: Open category climbing ends
4pm: Recreational and Advanced category climbing ends
4:15: Series Final begin
5pm (estimated): Raffle and Awards announced
Comps are open to people of all ages and categories (for both men and women) are as follows:
Recreational: up to 5.10b
Open: 5.11d and higher
Youth: all youth 15 years and under.
*Youth are able to compete in all the above categories but must be lead climbing certified to compete in Open. Contact a gym manager for information on renewing or getting your lead certification before the comps. Certifications will not be available day of.
ONSIGHT FINALS + SERIES FINAL
Join us after each comp for an Onsight Final! At Belmont and San Francisco, the three men and three women with the highest scores in the open category will compete at an onsight final for that gym’s top spot (1 man and 1 women) and the chance to compete at the Series Finals in Sunnyvale!
At the Series Finals in Sunnyvale, the three men and three women climbers with the best scores from Sunnyvale and the top men and women climbers from Belmont and San Francisco will compete for a cash prize!
Series Finals Cash Prizes:
1st Place: $150
2nd Place: $100
3rd Place: $50
In the event of a tie, cumulative series scores will be considered. Witness the best climbers duke it out high above on ropes in an action packed, breathtaking event! The routes will be left up after the comp so you can test your skills against the best.
New this year – we are crowning a Series Champion in addition to the Series Final Winner! Our Series Champion will be awarded based on points across all three comps!
RAFFLE FOR PRIZES PLUS FOOD AND BEER
A raffle will be held to auction off amazing gear by our awesome sponsors! We’ll have some yummy grub, great beer from Fort Point and, of course, T-shirts! There’s no better place to be on Saturday!
- Top three scores must be from three different routes.
- Box must be controlled by both hands (held for two seconds with controlled movement) to count.
- Category is chosen based on your hardest climb.
- No sandbagging categories; sandbaggers will be bumped at PG’s discretion
- If competitor completes one route outside of their category, competitor will be bumped to the higher category.
- Recreational and Advanced are top rope only.
- Routes marked Lead only can only be lead climbed.
- Total score ties within a category will be broken by the competitor’s highest scoring route.
- If competitor does not finish three routes, their total score will be the sum of their completed routes.
- Three attempts per route, must complete two routes to turn in a score card for shirt and a raffle ticket!
- Have fun!