Friction Series is PG’s Bay Area roped climbing competition. With climbs from 5.7 to 5.13+, there is something for everyone here! Come and climb or hang out and cheer on your friends. Each comp ends in a final where the best Open Category climbers compete for the top spot! There will be food, beer, and a raffle with prizes from our sponsors!
2019 FRICTION SERIES DATES
San Francisco: Saturday, Mar. 16 – 2018 Recap Here!
Sunnyvale: Saturday, April 27 – 2018 Recap Here!
FREE for members
Day Pass for non-members
No pre-registration necessary!
10am: Registration opens
11am: Climbing starts
2pm: Registration ends
3pm: Open category climbing ends & shirts*/beer/food served!
4pm: Recreational and Advanced category climbing ends
4:15pm: Onsight Final begin
5pm (estimated): Raffle!
*Shirts are available after 3 and will not be handed out early.
Comps are open to people of all ages and categories (for both men and women) are as follows:
Recreational: up to 5.10b
Open: 5.11d and higher
Youth: all youth 15 years and under.
*Youth are able to compete in all the above categories, but must be lead climbing certified to compete in Open category. Contact a gym manager for information on renewing or getting your lead certification before the comps. Certifications will not be available day of.
Join us after each comp for an Onsight Final! The three men and three women with the highest scores in the open category at each competition will compete at an onsight final for that gym’s top spot (1 man and 1 women)!
RAFFLE FOR PRIZES PLUS FOOD AND BEER
A raffle will be held to auction off amazing gear by our awesome sponsors! We’ll have some yummy grub, great beer from Fort Point and, of course, T-shirts! There’s no better place to be on Saturday!
- Top three scores must be from three different routes.
- Box must be controlled by both hands (held for two seconds with controlled movement) to count.
- Category is chosen based on your hardest climb.
- No sandbagging categories; sandbaggers will be bumped at PG’s discretion
- If competitor completes one route outside of their category, competitor will be bumped to the higher category.
- Recreational and Advanced are top rope only.
- Routes marked Lead only can only be lead climbed.
- Total score ties within a category will be broken by the competitor’s highest scoring route.
- If competitor does not finish three routes, their total score will be the sum of their completed routes.
- Three attempts per route, must complete two routes to turn in a score card for shirt and a raffle ticket!
- Have fun!